Tuesday, May 11, 2010

After the Storm

I love the calm after a storm. It's tornado season here in Oklahoma, and there is no time of year when I am reminded more often of the words in our state song, "And the wind comes sweeping down the plain..." Last night, we experienced several tornadoes in our area. Thankfully, all is well with us and those we love, but in the midst of the raging wind and pouring rain, I wasn't sure that it would be. Mostly, I hate storms. But there is a brief period of a few hours afterward that reminds me why they are necessary. After the 60+ mph winds have dissipated and the sideways rains and hail have ceased, there is quiet. Stillness. Calm. Things which, in Norman, can only take place after the most brutal display of the forces of nature. In Norman, the wind always blows (at least a little), except after a storm, so it is only in the aftermath of such an event that I am truly able to recognize the peace and stillness. I think life is like that. There would be no real joy or understanding without the storms. I used to dread such trials, but sometimes now I almost look forward to them, resting in the knowledge that my vision will be clearer and my heart more rested when they have passed. The hospital incident was the latest storm, but since then, I have felt an overwhelming sense of peace about life in general. The sun always shines brighter after the rain.

I was thinking about Peru yesterday. When we first came back to the States, all I wanted to do was be in Peru. I hated everything about being back here. My love for Peru has not lessened, but my attitude has definitely changed over the past few weeks. I know we will go back when God calls us to go back, and I am really excited for that day. But, I am also really excited to think that I have a purpose here. Now. In Norman. Andrew and I have been talking a lot about why we are staying here, and I think we feel better about our decision every day. We are both realizing how much we care about the campus which will be less than 2 miles from our new home, the many college students who are hurting and need the gospel, and the beautiful children with autism who will be in my classroom next year. In all honesty, I usually make decisions based on how they will affect me, which is really no way to live. God has changed our hearts in so many ways over the past few weeks. When we decided to stay here, it was because we want to serve our church, because Andrew can meet with college students, and because we can stay involved with RUF. When we decided to buy a house, it was because we can practice hospitality by hosting events there and really knowing people. When I decided to take a job in Norman instead of Moore, it is because I am understanding the value of knowing and loving community. To Christ alone be the glory for all of these things.

Two awesome and one sad event happened this week. The sad one is that our cat, Gato, moved away. For those who are confused, Gato was not really our cat, but she might as well have been because she came into our house so often. I wouldn't really call myself a cat person, but Gato was the coolest cat ever. Her owners (our neighbors) moved out, and so Gato is gone. We will miss her. One of the awesome things is that we are officially members of University Fellowship Church now, as we had our covenant signing last week after church. UFC also has a website (with podcasts!), or at least it did last week, but now that I am about to post the link I can't find it. Oops. The other awesome thing is that I got to go to Bart Conner Gymnastics today with one of the autism classes in Norman. Some of you might not think this is great, but let me explain why it is. I did gymnastics for about 10 years. I love gymnastics and miss it a lot. But more importantly, I will get to take MY OWN CLASS there next year, once a week! After watching the students today, I know this will be such a good thing for them and can't wait to start doing it.

I realized I never posted a picture of our new home. Here is one of the outside, although the inside is even more beautiful! We had the inspection this week, and the only thing needing to be addressed is replacing the hot water heater. Can't wait to move in!

In Christ alone,
Mary Rachel

1 comment:

  1. I love to watch storms, to feel the powerful wind that rips right through ya. I've been singing "Oklahoma" all week. :) And as for the Fenricks staying in Norman...I for one am super excited! :)

    ReplyDelete