Thursday, February 21, 2013

On the days when it isn't all happy...

"Request for Absence" form.  Don't mind my snow day hair.  

I'm trying to fill out this paperwork for maternity leave.  (Can't believe I just said that!)  The paperwork isn't a big deal at all; it's the people's reactions that kill me.

The lady at personnel was pleasant and helpful.  When I heard what one of my co-workers said about me taking maternity leave when the baby comes, though, I wanted to go cry in the bathroom.  "Seriously?!  She's taking maternity leave?  She isn't even having a baby!!"

I could have done without that reminder.  No, I'm not having a baby.  But that baby will be ours, and why in the world would I not want to spend the first six weeks of its life at home, like everyone else who has a newborn?  Oh right, because women aren't really moms until a baby pops out of their own bodies.

Another thing: Babies R Us.

There is nothing wrong with the store in general, other than it being super overwhelming for someone (AKA practically every new mom) who has no clue about what babies actually need.  I didn't like registering for our wedding because there were too many decisions to make, but this experience was something else entirely.

Andrew had to work on Monday, but my parents were in town to help me with baby stuff.  They graciously offered to go with me to register, which would have been extremely unproductive (and probably hilarious) if I had gone by myself.  I really am thankful that they came.  But the whole time I was in Babies R Us, I just wanted to flash my wedding ring to justify that I'm not a teen mom and that I am, in fact, married to a guy who just happened to have to work on President's Day.

Also, I've never wanted to have a belly and constantly work out because I'm afraid of that happening.  On this one day, though, I wished I had stuffed a pillow under my shirt or had a baby in tow like every other woman in the store.  I felt so many eyes on me, probably wondering why a person like me was carrying around a registry gun and pointing it at cribs, high chairs, and diapers.

When I taught autism and took my students on outings, we would get stares from all sorts of people. I loved my kids so much that I wanted to put signs on their shirts saying something like, "I have autism.  Be kind.  Stop staring."  I wanted to protect them from the ignorance of others.  Now I want to wear a sign on myself saying, "No, it's okay!  My husband and I are adopting!"  I want to justify myself for a making a decision that shouldn't need any justification.  

I'm sure this is just the beginning of the rude comments and judging stares, especially if we adopt a baby who doesn't look like us.  I do know, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that this is the right thing.  I just wish I wasn't so sensitive sometimes.  The family and friends in our lives, the people who truly matter, have been beyond supportive.

"The truth will set you free."  I'm constantly reminding myself of that through this crazy journey.


8 comments:

  1. Oh Friend. I'm sorry, people are so rude. I hate that someone said that to you. I was actually hoping you would for sure take time off and I'm so glad that you will. You will need it, your sweet baby will need you and you won't regret it at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Surprisingly, being pregnant also has some of the same uncomfortable moments that have left me wishing for a shirt that said "it's okay, I'm pregnant!" Throwing up in public bathrooms, for example, and having to find a seat after standing for only a few minutes in a store when my belly hardly shows. Hang in there, friend! We can be on this wild, often awkward and uncomfortable ride in different ways together :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know people who have adopted and they have all taken maternity leave.....why wouldn't a mom? Unfortunately, part of motherhood is taking the judgmental looks and comments in stride....it is always something...and once you start to get over your own insecurities, along comes your child to make sure you never feel secure as a parent....they misbehave at the absolute worst times! ha! Keep your eye on the prize and focused on the Lord. Tunnel vision. What people think doesn't matter....what God thinks matters. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This makes me want to drive up there and kick some toosh. My heart breaks for you friend and for all the things you're going through.

    Matthew 18: At that time the disciples came to Jesus and asked, “Who, then, is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?”

    2 He called a little child to him, and placed the child among them. 3 And he said: “Truly I tell you, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. 4 Therefore, whoever takes the lowly position of this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. 5 And whoever welcomes one such child in my name welcomes me.

    By welcoming a precious babe, whatever gender, ethnicity, etc, that it may be, you are welcoming God into your home. Don't let Satan steal the joy in this wonderful blessing. You are chosen By Him and He has equipped you to be a wonderful mother, just as he has equipped Andrew. If Satan is attacking you, look at it as affirmation that you are doing His will!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You guys are doing the right thing. I'm so excited for you two!!! Did you put the Bose stroller system on that registry? It's for the baby :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so happy for you and your husband. You are going to be an amazing mom. Yes I said mom. Anyone can be a mother but it takes someone as awesome as you to be a mom or a mommy! It doesn't matter if the baby is yours by birth or by adoption, you are an amazing person that deserves to be home with your baby when he or she is born. Congrats and if you need anything let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don't worry about being sensitive. As soon as your baby comes, whether it comes from your womb, or from your heart, your ferocious Momma Bear will kick in. And you will no longer care what people think or say about you...but one word about your child and you will shock yourself with the ferocity of your protective instinct. I promise.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can completely relate. I felt the need to explain every time I went to buy something for Theodore with no baby bump and no baby with me. For me, they made me put a due date on the registry. Since it was so sudden for us by the time we registered he was already born, so I just made up some random date in the future ;) So much is so awkward since the world is not really adoption minded, but worth every second of the awkwardness. This too shall pass...

    ReplyDelete