Friday, October 4, 2013

A tribute to single parents

I see you walking your kids into my Pre-K classroom every morning.  They look well-rested, and you look exhausted already.

I see you in the grocery store, pushing your cart through crowded aisles and trying to get your son to sit down.

I see you at your job.  You're often the first one there and the last one to leave.  It's killing you that your baby has been with someone else all day, but there is no other way.

I see you at your kids' soccer games, at their parent-teacher conferences, at church, and at other activities that are important to your little ones.

I don't often see you at concerts, at the nail salon, at sporting events, or at adult parties.  I don't see you at activities "for you."

I love my daughter "to the moon and back," as the old children's book says, so I understand why you do what you do.  It's because you have to.  Because you wouldn't have it another way.  Because their happiness matters more than your own.

This post began with me bragging on Piper's dad.  Truly, he's wonderful, and I'm incredibly thankful.  Then I started thinking about how I should write about more than my husband.  I couldn't do all of this without him.  But, single parent, "without him" or "without her" is your life- every day, every moment.  

Here I have to apologize.  I used to look at your kids and blame you when they misbehaved in my class.  "Their mom doesn't spend enough time with them," I thought.  Not long ago, I would see your daughter with boogers in her nose and wonder why you didn't grab a tissue on your way out the door.  I noticed your children having a hard time standing in line in Wal-Mart but failed to see the helpless look on your face because sometimes, kids will just be kids.  Here's the worst one of all: I had no sympathy for you because I didn't take time to listen to your story or care about your circumstances.  Then I had a baby of my own.  I get it now, and I'm so sorry.

I'm alone with my daughter for about six or seven hours each day before her daddy comes home.  There are days when those hours are pure joy, and then there are days when she screams.  And screams.  On the screaming days, I can't wait for my husband to walk in the door.  He lets me go for a run, grab a cup of coffee with a friend, or get a pedicure.  I know that those aren't usually options for single parents, bless you.  I'm run ragged half the time, and I'm not in this alone.

Your infant is never going to thank you for changing his diaper.  Your daughter probably forgot to give you a hug after you took her to dance practice.  Your son didn't show his appreciation that you took off work early to be at his football game.  Your child's teacher didn't realize how much you had to sacrifice to be at that meeting.  Your boss didn't care that you stayed late...again.

So to the military wife, the single mom working two jobs, the husband whose wife always travels for business, and the single dad who wakes up at 4:30 to get it all done, I hope someone looked you in the eyes today to say, "Thank you."  And I hope you listened.  Lord knows you've got lots on your plate, and you're a rockstar in my book.

    


No comments:

Post a Comment