Saturday, January 14, 2017

An Essay Contest

I haven't participated in an essay contest in years.  Usually I write because I want to, but today I wrote because I need to.  

We started a college savings fund for both of our girls when they were babies, and today, I'm trying to win a contest to get money added to their accounts.  Somehow, the words did not flow as easily when I did not generate the topic.  (Also, how do you explain life change in 300 words or less?!)  People sometimes ask me if I would want to be a writer for a living, and I'm not sure I could do it.  Much of the joy of blogging, for me, comes from posting whatever is in my brain and not having any restrictions on length or subject matter.  Anyway, here was my best attempt.  It never hurts to try, right?  

"Please explain, in 300 words or less, how the Oklahoma College Savings Plan has made, or will make, a difference in your own life or the life of your beneficiary."

***

"My husband and I met at The University of Oklahoma, and we are now raising our girls less than two miles from its campus.  College is obviously a special place for us, but not solely for the reason that we both obtained degrees from the one in our hometown.

I taught public school in Oklahoma for six years before returning to school myself.  During those six years, I worked at two very contrasting schools.  At one, kids could not afford to keep the electricity on year-round.  At the other, OU head football coach and millionaire, Bob Stoops, had successful twin boys who attended.  The schools were only a few miles apart, but they felt like opposite planets.  The education of these students’ parents was the primary separation.  I witnessed, first-hand, how a cycle of poverty can be perpetuated or broken based on whether or not higher degrees are deemed important and are attainable.  In places where college was an opportunity, it literally changed the lives of generations.

In 2013, we met a 17-year-old girl.  She was bright and motivated, and she was also pregnant.  _____ gave birth to our adopted daughter, Piper.  She finished high school and is now working on furthering her education, but when we met _____, she was forced to choose between college and a child.  She selflessly decided to give us this baby who she had carried for nine months, with the understanding that we would attempt to provide the best life for Piper.  Giving the gift of college to Piper will not only allow our daughter to have a greater future for herself, but it will be the fulfillment of a promise that we made to a brave young girl four years ago, a repayment for our precious gift.


Thank you for your consideration."

***

299 words.  I like living on the edge.

No comments:

Post a Comment