Monday, December 14, 2009

Worth Reading

I did not title this entry the way I did because I think our blog is especially noteworthy; however, I have been reading some books lately that are worth reading. Some of you may pay attention to the "gadget" we have on the side, where I keep track of the books on our reading list. Here are two.

A Severe Mercy
I NEVER cry in books, but I have to admit that I did shed a tear or two reading this one. It highlights the problems with relationships that focus entirely upon the happiness of the other instead of on God.

A Child Called "It"
A quick read. I read this in approximately two hours sitting in the bookstore the other day. Prepare to have your heart wrenched, though, because it is the tragic story of a boy who faced some horrific forms of child abuse.

Now aside from reading... Andrew found out today that he can go to Peru with me over Spring Break. The way things worked out is really quite incredible and can only be attributed to God's having his mighty hand over every aspect of our lives. Because this is Andrew's first year at his job, he rarely gets time off. But, the other day, his boss randomly gave out three extra days of vacation to everyone. Andrew was still just a little bit short of having the full week of vacation that will be needed for the trip, but his team leader went ahead and approved it because he would have the vacation hours by the following pay period. We have many preparations to do before then, but I must say that I am even more excited about the trip now that Andrew is able to go.

Subbing kindergarten was crazy last week. I have a new admiration for kindergarten teachers, because it takes a kind of energy and patience that I am convinced I do not have. The kids really are very cute, but I definitely cannot see myself ever doing this for more than two weeks.

Last night, we got to rub elbows with the rich and famous, sort of. Our sweet friends, Derek and Erica, are related to the founder of Hobby Lobby, so they have all kinds of hookups we would never have on our own. We went with them to the Oklahoma City Thunder basketball game and sat in the suites. The Thunder just happened to be playing the Cavaliers, so we got to watch Shaquille O'Neal and Lebron James play. This really made for a great evening.

I am officially finished with school. I had my last final on Thursday of last week. I think all of them went fairly well, but I am mostly just glad to have them out of the way. It seemed strange to come home at 3:00 today and not have any other responsibilities to worry about (well, besides the fact that I haven't really done ANY Christmas shopping!). Graduation is on Saturday. It has really been a great three-and-a-half years. There have been times when I thought seriously about changing my major, and even switching schools, but looking back on it all, I am very grateful that God led me to stay here.

To end, I'll leave a hymn which I have been listening to a lot lately. By "a lot", I mean that it is my alarm every morning, and I have it on repeat often.

In Christ alone,
Mary Rachel

Rock of Ages by Sandra McCracken

Rock of Ages, when the day seems long
Through this labor and this heartache I have come
The skies will wear out, but You remain the same
Rock of Ages, I praise your name.

Rock of Ages, You have brought me near.
You have poured out your lifeblood, your love, and your tears
To make this stone heart come alive again
Rock of Ages, forgive my sin.

Rock of Ages, Rock of Ages
Bind your children till your kingdom comes
Rock of Ages, your will be done.


Rock of Ages, when in want or rest
My desperate need for such a Savior I confess
Pull these idols out from my hard embrace
Rock of Ages, I need your grace.

Rock of Ages, broken, scorned for me
Who am I that you would die to make me free?
To give me glory, You took the death and the pain
Rock of Ages, my offering.

Rock of Ages, "It is done," You cried
The curtain's torn and I see justice satisfied
Now write your mercy here on my heart and hands
Rock of Ages, in faith I stand.

Rock of Ages, my Great Hope secure
Your promise holds just like an anchor to my soul
Bind your children with cords of love and grace
Rock of Ages, we give You praise.

Rock of Ages, Rock of Ages
Bind your children till your kingdom comes
Rock of Ages, your will be done.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations! I still can't believe you're all grown up and married and now graduated :) I very much enjoy your blog!

    ReplyDelete