Monday, August 2, 2010

Rest

Since the end of swim lessons and summer school, I honestly have not had a ton to do.  For those who know me very well, this is a rare occurrence.  Last week, I had a little more time to myself than usual and was able to finish up a couple of books, as well as spend some much-needed time with friends without stressing about crossing items off on my list of things to do.  I find it amazing how much more at peace the soul feels when the body has had rest.  Whenever school starts, I want to have as few commitments as possible.  I don't want to be lazy, but during my time off, I have noticed that I am a much better friend and wife whenever I am not running around like a chicken with its head cut off.  I want to be able to actually invest in my students and community in Norman, and to do that, I'm going to need to learn to say "no" to many things that I would normally commit to without a second thought.  Yikes.  I think it will feel good to breathe, though. 

I am currently visiting at my parents' house.  Unfortunately, Andrew could not take off work and come with me, but I have been needing this trip all summer.  I miss living here.  I miss my family and friends.  We are obviously supposed to be in Norman right now, and we do know some truly wonderful people there.  It would be a lie to say that I never get lonely, though.  In the past day and a half, I have gotten to see several of my dear old friends and enjoy great conversations with my parents.  I'm really looking forward to the rest of my time here before I head back to Norman for New Teacher Training.  (Wow, is this really happening?!)

In Christ alone,
Mary Rachel

2 comments:

  1. Oh Sweetie -- we're so glad that you can have some down time. We loved having you here. Some wise person once said, "Beware of the barreness of a busy life." :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to see you tomorrow. :)

    ReplyDelete