Thursday, August 26, 2010

Thoughts on School [1]

In the words of a fellow teacher friend, "Anyone who thinks they are getting an easy 8-3 job (as a teacher) has got a BIG surprise coming."  I didn't think this job would be easy, but I didn't even consider some of the challenges I have had to face already.  I am unsure of how to condense the past week into a blog without rambling about information that matters to no one but me, but in sum, I feel like I am drowning.  Thankfully, I have very few commitments outside of school because I come home and crash as early as possible every day.  Parents are crazy, scheduling is a nightmare, general education teachers are not as understanding of my students as I thought they would be, sharing a room is less than ideal, and I have eaten lunch once since I have been at school.  Word on the street is that I am supposed to be getting another aide for my classroom (Amanda Willis is actually a dear friend of mine!), which would be immensely helpful.  This gives me hope that things will get better.  To a small degree, they already have.  A friend asked me if I was prepared for the fact that things might not get better , and I said I thought so.  And then I said that I might "accidentally" get pregnant at the end of the year if that is the case. Just kidding.

There are some great things about my job, like my students.  No matter how stressed I am, I laugh every day because of them.

"Johnny, you have to tell Mrs. Fenrick when you need to go to the bathroom so you don't wet your pants."
"But I'm sorry!"  Can I have a gummy bear now?"

*Carl is practically yelling in the hall.*
"Carl, you have to turn your voice off when you are in the hallway."
"But I'm trying to tell you that I'll miss you when I get home!"

The teacher who shares my room is wonderful, and my aides are all very helpful and encouraging.  The administrators are great.  These are the things that help me get up in the morning. 

And Andrew.  That sweet man will be greatly rewarded in heaven!  On my first day, he woke up early to make me breakfast.  Yesterday, I came home to find all of the housework done and dinner ordered so that I didn't have to cook.  It sure feels nice to come home.

Speaking of Andrew, I have never seen him so excited about school.  He started his seminary classes on Monday and LOVED it.  The workload is extensive, but his professors all seem to be kind and godly men.  Andrew has never liked or (in his words) "been good at school", but he came home on Monday, excited about the semester ahead.  He said, "I've never sat through a class and been engaged the whole time like I was today."  As far as work goes, Andrew talked to the bus barn and will begin driving school buses again, most likely next week.  This was originally his last resort as far as work goes, but all seems to have worked out this way for our good because the bus barn is right around the corner from us, it pays well, has a perfect schedule for Andrew, and we'll have the same holidays! 

The next four years will probably be difficult for both of us in many ways that we haven't even begun to consider yet, but "the joy of the Lord is our strength."  

In Christ alone,
Mary Rachel

1 comment:

  1. Oh!! Hang in there!! Remember that those things that appear to be obstacles may really be blessings in disguise!! God doesn't rain on parades....He uses the rain to make rainbows!

    And, please......take time to write down all the funny things your students say......I wish I had! Those are the little gems in your day!!

    In my prayers, sweet friend!!

    ReplyDelete