Sunday, September 23, 2012

Politics

Up until today, I wasn't really sure who would get my vote in the upcoming election, mostly because I didn't feel informed enough to make a decision.  I just haven't had time to follow politics lately and to be honest, I haven't cared about it as much as I probably should.  I don't always vote Republican, and I don't always vote Democrat, so my choice has not been an obvious one.  Of course, I still don't know everything there is to know about Obama or Romney, but I did some research this afternoon and at least feel like I have personal grounds for the box I'll check on November 6th.  I'm not sure that voting without being informed, or voting for a certain party regardless of the candidate, is the definition of being "a responsible citizen."

Here's the thing- everyone has convictions, and certain issues are more important to some people than to others.  I'll say it quickly, like pulling off a Band-aid: Politics should never be so important that people become divisive and hateful because of their convictions, or that others who do not share the exact same beliefs are alienated and made to feel stupid.  I could do without all of the Facebook posts and comments on the radio/TV that are only intended to rip the other party apart, couldn't you?  I think that there is a way to stand one's ground and still be kind.

I'm not entirely free from guilt of this myself.  Though I might not say things out loud, I often have thoughts like, "I can't believe anyone would actually think that is a good idea."  Sometimes my thoughts err on the side of hate, too.  Lord help us all.

Hateful comments have been made by Democrats and Republicans alike, without a doubt.  But the most concerning thing to me is when Christians are the ones doing this.  There are many important issues facing our country today , but none so crucial that we need to start bashing our political leaders.  Aren't we supposed to hope for their best, to respect them, and to pray for them as they make big decisions every day?  They're not going to get it all right all the time, but they're only men.

I don't adhere to everything that either candidate does or says, but I do believe that both deserve consideration, and that my decision needs to be informed.  Call me crazy, but I also don't think that we should vote or not vote for a person based off of whether or not he says he is a Christian.  (As you may have noticed, claiming to be Christian doesn't mean much these days anyway.)  Despite all kinds of leaders, God has been and still is at work in a broken world.  Christians have done some great things for our country, and some terrible ones.  And although America may have been founded on Christian principles, we have long since strayed from those and in my opinion, can't be considered a "Christian nation" when the majority of people in America do not go to church.

I haven't become super political all of a sudden.  I just want people to have some grace.  I want to have some grace.  No matter which way you're going to vote this time around, I encourage you to consider your decision.  It's an important one.  Hold fast to your convictions, and talk with others about them.  Just remember that no one ever changed another's mind or heart by being unkind, and that whoever becomes president deserves to be respected.  That doesn't mean you have to agree with him on everything.

2 comments:

  1. A pastor once said, "A president is merely a pawn in the hands of a Sovereign God to bring punishment or blessing upon a nation."

    ReplyDelete