Monday, April 29, 2013

How to Run a Marathon (A Beginner's Guide)

I just finished my fourth marathon today.  No matter how many times I complete one of those, I don't think the feeling of crossing the line at the end will ever stop being exhilarating.  Today, the Oklahoma City Memorial Marathon started right outside the front door of our church.  Not many people can say that!  And, seeing a man running a full marathon while carrying a huge American flag over his head the whole time held even more significance than usual.  There are so many beautiful things about racing that you can't possibly explain to someone who looks you in the eye and asks why you're crazy enough to run 26 miles.

Although I'm no expert, I have learned a thing or two about how to do these things.  My friend recently asked me if I could talk about how a non-runner could run a marathon, so, as promised, I'm sharing the tips that have helped me most.

General Advice

-Not everyone can run a marathon.  I don't say this to toot my own horn.  However, some people are more prone to injuries than others.  I have been very blessed that this is not the case for me, but please hear me say that it is not worth doing permanent damage to your body for the sake of proving a point.  I do believe that, with proper training and mental fortitude, most people can run a half marathon.  But running 13 miles and running 26 miles are actually two very different things, and, speaking from personal experience, your body just starts breaking down after 20-22 miles.    
-Don't go into training for a race with the intention of losing weight.  Make sure that you are eating enough, or you will not have the strength to accomplish your goal.  Your body may become more toned through the training process, and your clothes may start to fit differently, but you should not be losing weight.

Training

-Find a friend or a running group to help you with your training.  Even if you and your buddy don't run the same pace, have at least one person with whom you can be accountable about your workouts.  Sometimes the hardest part of training is just getting out the door!
-Prior to beginning your training plan, you'll need to build a running base.  For a half marathon, you need to be able to run at least three miles without stopping.  For a full, you need to do six.  If you haven't run a day in your life, never fear!  There are many "Couch to 5K" training plans that can help you reach your base of three miles.  
-Use a good training plan.  Here's a hint: The training plan that you have created off the top of your head is not a good one.  My favorite one is Hal Higdon's Novice Training Program.  You'll need at least 12 weeks to complete your half marathon program and at least 18 to complete the full.  (That is assuming that you have already built up your base of three or six miles.)
-It is acceptable to occasionally skip a midweek training run, but DO NOT cheat on your long runs.     
-Get the proper running gear.  It may seem ridiculous to you to buy special clothing for running, but you will be glad that you did.  Go to a specialty running store to get fitted for shoes.  You'll also want to make sure that you have moisture-wicking socks, shirts, and shorts.  Cotton will give you blisters and will also overheat you more quickly than you can say "Jack Robinson."
-People often ask what they should eat and drink on long runs.  Unless the weather is exceptionally hot, I usually stick with water.  (On hot days, I'll have some Gatorade.)  My favorite "food" is GU Chomps.  You can buy them at Academy, Dick's, or any sports/running store.  GU will provide you with the caffeine and sugar that you need to keep going.  What do I do with my water and GU while I'm running, you ask?  I usually map out a loop of 4-5 miles and leave my water/GU at the starting point so that I can come back around to get it every 45 minutes or so.  It's okay to stop running for a few seconds to fuel up.  On race day, I put my GU in the pocket of my shorts, since water and Gatorade are both set out along the course already.

Race Day!

-Get a good night's sleep.  
-Don't obsess about the weather.  More likely than not, the weather will not be ideal for racing.  You can't do anything to change it, so don't trouble yourself with checking it every hour for a week before the race (like I do).  
-Plan to be at the race much earlier than you think is necessary.
-Ask people to come and cheer for you.  Adrenaline can carry you for miles!
-Dress appropriately.  My general rule of thumb is that you should be freezing at the starting line.  You will certainly warm up after you have run for a few miles.  
-Eat breakfast.  I normally don't drink caffeine, but long runs and race days are exceptions.  I have a cup of strong coffee and a PB&J.  I've also heard people say that things like Nutella toast and orange juice are good options.  Whatever you do, DON'T have a glass of milk or a cup of yogurt.  
-This seems obvious, but go to the bathroom before the race begins...even if you don't think that you should.  Running for 2-4 hours at a time can do crazy things to your body.  In the words of a friend, "You can't have a PR (personal record) without a PRP (pre-race poop).  Enough about that.  
-Don't do anything different during the race than what you have done during training.  There will be pit stops at least every two miles on the race course, but that doesn't mean that you should stop at every one.  If you have been getting water every 4-5 miles during your training runs, that is exactly what you should do on race day.
-Walk briskly through water stops but try not to walk otherwise.  Once you stop to walk, you may have a very hard time getting started again, if you're anything like me.      
-Slow and steady wins the race.  Seriously.  Don't try to be a hero and run faster than your body can handle.  After all, with thousands of other people racing, the goal isn't to win but just to cross the finish line.  
-Believe you can do it.  A great deal of success in running comes from training properly, but it takes more than good training to keep going once you have already run 10 or 20 miles.
-Celebrate your accomplishment!  Less than one percent of people in the world will ever run a marathon, and you just became one of them!  That deserves at least a big bowl of ice cream or something.  

Remember this:
"More powerful than the will to win is the courage to begin." 
-Unknown Author

Happy Running!



1 comment:

  1. I love this Mary Rachel! I'm so proud of you and Andrew! I know you've spent so much time training and this is just such a fantastic accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete