Monday, September 19, 2016

An extraordinary, ordinary life

Lots of people have asked me lately what I do with my life, now that I am not teaching anymore.  After I tell them about getting to stay home for most of the day with my girls and about going to school for dental hygiene in the evenings, I usually sneak in the part about working in the kitchen at their daycare at the very end, when the person is not really listening anymore.

I'm not sure why I am sometimes embarrassed about the fifteen hours a week I spend at my new job.  Maybe I took pride in being a teacher because I knew that not everyone was cut out to do it, so I convinced myself that I was a step ahead of the pack by being one.

Now, I wash dishes.  Stacks and stacks of them.  I bake corndogs, mix meatloaf with my hands, set the long tables in the gym, bleach the countertops, mop the floors, and bag up the leftovers at the end of my shift.  Anyone could do this.  My job is completely ordinary and not the least bit stimulating.  But it is perfect.

 I don't love my job because of the work itself necessarily.  What I do love is listening to podcasts as I cook, seeing my children with their friends, having the opportunity for them to go to school, getting to know their teachers and my lunch assistant, paying for my own school, and then going home with my babies at lunchtime.  I have all of the emotional and physical energy that I need for my family when I am finished with work, which is something new for me.  (And hey, I sometimes get to actually sit down and blog in the afternoons, too!)

Caroline is starting to say a few random words, probably most of which are only discernible to us.  However, a few days ago, she walked into the living room to Piper and, plain as day, told her, "Hi."  Piper ran into the kitchen where I was (some days I feel like all of my waking hours are spent in a kitchen) and shouted, "Mom, Mom, Sissy said 'hi!'  Sissy can talk!  Her's learning!"    

I missed the first time Piper rolled over because I was working, so when I got to experience a rare moment of my self-centered firstborn cheering for her sister, I teared up and had to pinch myself that this is really my life.  It's so ordinary and yet extraordinary at the same time.  My brain may not be full of much right now, but my heart sure is.

Family :)

Piper and her little friends at school

No comments:

Post a Comment