Friday, January 1, 2010

Looking Back

What were YOU doing 10 years ago today? I remember sitting in my parents' car on New Year's Eve. I was in sixth grade, and we were on our way to the annual New Year's Eve church party. I was thinking about how different my life would be if Y2K brought about the changes that many people expected it would. Of course, when the clock struck midnight, we rang in 2000 and everything was exactly the same as it had always been. Sometimes it seems like just yesterday that this happened, but an entire decade has already passed. Although not without its downs, the first decade of the 21st century has been a good one for me. I always think it is amazing how some things can seem so dreadful at the time, but looking back over the years, I remember almost all good things.

2009 has been a big year, for obvious reasons. Andrew and I got married and faced all the changes that event brought, including settling into a new home together and combining bank accounts. Andrew got his first "real" job in February and has been working there since. I graduated in December. 2009 has been memorable for some maybe not-so-obvious reasons, as well. I think Andrew would agree in my saying that this has been the year of car trouble. Aside from his wreck a little over a year ago, my car was vandalized for the second time since I've had it and has had several other problems (none of which have been cheap to fix because it is a VW). Oh, and it has been for sale for SIX MONTHS. On a brighter note, we became much more involved in our church this year, which has been a huge blessing. We have loved seeing UFC grow and change over the past year and couldn't be more happy that the Lord led us to such a Christ-centered church and allowed us to build such genuine relationships. Our nephew, Jack, was born this year. Andrew decided he wants to go to seminary. All in all, I would say it has been a year of growing. We have both learned a lot about each other- learning to love and serve each other better and trying to please God in all we do. The first few months of the year were rough. I was on medicine that was making me crazy, and this was making Andrew crazy consequently. But I can honestly say that the last five have probably been the best months of my life. God has been good.

Last night, we rang in the new year with our sweet friends, Cliff and Nichole. We had some traditional New Year's snacks while enjoying great conversations. We also played two games: Ticket to Ride and Bananagrams. I liked Bananagrams better because I tend to think more with the right side of my brain. Andrew liked Ticket to Ride better because he wins every time. Last night was a reminder of what a joy the whole year has been. It ended in much the same way it began- surrounded by blessings and friendship.

I'm looking forward to what 2010 will bring. It will most likely be a year of change for us, mainly because we are probably moving in the fall. I'll start a new job teaching, and Andrew will begin seminary classes, Lord willing. It is comforting to know that God will be in the same place He has always been in the midst of all of our changes.

I used to make about 10 New Year's Resolutions every year, but then I would forget what they all were and not really keep any of them. This year, I'm trying to keep it simple.
*Read the bible all the way through. I started this last year and am looking forward to finishing this year.
*Memorize at least one bible verse/passage per week. I used to be really good about this back when my parents made Tim and I do it every week, but I have not been so diligent lately and would like to rebuild this habit.
*Wear my retainer every night. Seems like a stupid thing maybe, but my parents paid a lot of money for my straight teeth, so I'm thinking it would be good to keep them that way.
*Run a marathon.

To end, I'll leave my favorite New Year's poem. May you all have a blessed 2010, and love and be loved in return.

In Christ alone,
Mary Rachel

Recipe for a Good New Year
To leave the old with a burst of song
To recall the right and forgive the wrong;
To forget the thing that binds you fast
To the vain regrets of the year that's past;
To have the strength to let go your hold
Of the not worthwhile of the days grown old,
To dare to go forth with a purpose true,
To the unknown task of the year that's new;
To help your brother along the road
To do his work and lift his load;
To be kind to your neighbor and spread good cheer,
Is to have and to give a Happy New Year.

1 comment:

  1. Good Girl -- wear that retainer! Wish that I had. :( We're so thankful for the blessing of adding Andrew to our family this year!

    ReplyDelete