Sunday, April 4, 2010

The Power of the Cross

Happy Easter!

As a quick update, we have been the recipients of so many blessings lately. One thing I have been especially thankful for is the fact that spring always comes after winter and that God does renew the earth. The green trees and grass outside have been so refreshing. Also, my parents brought up my new car this weekend. It's a 2005 Corolla with less than 50k miles on it. It's perfect and practical, and we are both SO relieved to be rid of the huge money pit (aka VW Beetle) that had been sitting in our driveway for sale for the past 8 months. We got to see both of our families this weekend- mine came up for Tim's birthday, and we went to Andrew's parents' for Easter/birthday lunch. This weekend was relaxing, and we both were able to spend some time with sweet friends throughout the weekend. Student teaching is going somewhat better as I am becoming more accustomed to my new placement and am learning a lot from my master teacher. I'm not exactly enjoying it, but it is bearable. And, I just got an email from the principal of a school in Fort Worth that I didn't even visit when I went there last weekend. Apparently, another principal who I have been emailing gave her my name (?!) and thought I would be a good candidate for a job teaching students with autism. Blessings abound.

The truth about Easter is that we should celebrate it every day. What a glorious thing we have to celebrate! Church this morning was so good. Our friend, Cliff, has been teaching Sunday school lately, and I have been learning so much through his teaching. The resurrection is beautiful and I am inadequate to describe the way it changes everything, so I'll just leave the words to this song we sang this morning. Christ is risen indeed.

The Power of the Cross

Oh, to see the dawn of the darkest day
Christ on the road to Calvary
Tried by sinful men, torn and beaten, then
Nailed to a cross of wood.

This, the power of the cross
Christ became sin for us
Took the blame, bore the wrath
We stand forgiven at the cross.

Oh, to see the pain written on Your face,
Bearing the awesome weight of sin.
Ev'ry bitter thought, ev'ry evil deed
Crowning Your bloodstained brow.

Now the daylight flees; now the ground beneath
Quakes as its Maker bows His head.
Curtain torn in two, dead are raised to life;
"Finished!" the vict'ry cry.

Oh, to see my name written in the wounds,
For through Your suffering I am free.
Death is crushed to death; life is mine to live,
Won through Your selfless love.

This, the power of the cross
Son of God, slain for us
What a love! What a cost!
We stand forgiven at the cross.

In Christ alone,
Mary Rachel

2 comments:

  1. Well, since I cried through the whole song on Sunday, I think that a copy of it on DVD would be a great gift idea for me sometime (hint, hint)... Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops -- make that a CD. Brain freeze... :(

    ReplyDelete