Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Things Change

About 2 weeks ago, we were basically 102 percent sure that we would be moving to Fort Worth at the end of the summer. Now, we are about 95 percent sure that we are not.

The reasons for this decision are hard to explain, but the biggest reason is probably our church. Both of us had been dreading the idea of leaving this place which we feel is just getting off its feet. As it turns out, there is a campus of Southwestern Baptist Seminary (the same one that is in Fort Worth) in Shawnee, Oklahoma, which is about 30 minutes from our house in Norman. Andrew could complete most of his seminary degree there while we stay here and be part of our church and community. Another huge reason for staying is that I have had much more success in searching for jobs here than in Fort Worth. I had an interview in the Norman area last week and have three this week. Two of the jobs for which I have interviewed seem like they could be great possibilities. There are several other small reasons which have contributed to our "almost decision" beside the ones I just mentioned. I am saddened to think of the people we will be missing in D/FW but also excited as I think of the opportunities God seems to be providing here, in Norman. I hated Norman for the first three years I lived here. Now I hate the thought of ever having to leave.

Andrew's health continues to improve as he recovers from his seizure. He is working full-time and seems to be suffering few side effects from the medication. Occasionally, he is still dizzy, but this only occurs when he moves his head a certain way. No more seizures since the hospital visit!

We got to go to one of our favorite places this weekend. We went to Doug's (our RUF campus minister) parents' house in Ozark, MO with some fellow RUF'ers. The highlights of the weekend included shooting potato cannons, sitting in the hot tub, riding the four-wheeler, eating at Lambert's, and having a bonfire. We especially enjoyed just talking with great friends and having time to read and relax. Doug's parents are so generous to open their beautiful home to us a couple of times a year, and we always look forward to those times of refreshing.

Three major things have happened in my life this week:
1. I decided not to run the OKC Memorial Half Marathon. This is actually a huge decision for me. Lately, I have been running because I feel compelled to do so instead of because I want to. So, I sold my registration and am trying to have no regrets.
2. I put in my two weeks' notice for my tutoring job. Although I have been enjoying this job lately, I simply do not have time for it. I am far too busy, and this is one thing I have been needing to cut out for awhile. My friend, Julia, is going to pick up where I left off, which is wonderful because I do not feel guilty about quitting.
3. I got accepted to work as a camp counselor for a week-long leadership camp for high school seniors with special needs in June. You can check out the Youth Leadership Forum here. I feel honored to be accepted for this position and am already excited about the week! I actually did not think I would be paid when I applied for the job, but as it turns out, I will have a very generous compensation, which is a nice surprise.

Sometimes life happens so fast I can hardly keep up.

In Christ alone,
Mary Rachel

2 comments:

  1. We're so excited to hear that you're likely sticking around for awhile! It's amazing to see how God makes his plans very clear. The same happened for Levi and I when we planned to move to Portland, only to find jobs here in Norman and NONE there. Your trust of God's plan is an encouragement to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HOOORAY for all of these things!! We are so excited for you two! I went to the Youth Leadership Forum website, it looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete