Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Peru: Tres





Being here changes everything. It's impossible to explain that to someone who has never been here.

Yesterday, we spent the morning working at the church in Wichanzao, which is the same place I worked two years ago. Rain destroys everything in Peru because no one is prepared for more than about a half inch per year. A couple of weeks ago, it rained two inches here. Consequently, there is mold in the sanctuary of the church. We spent our time scraping mold off of the walls and preparing the sanctuary to be repainted. The church women prepared lunch for us there and afterward, we went to the National University for some English conversation classes with the students. This went MUCH better than the last time I went because it was more organized and the students who came could communicate amazingly well with us in English. People wonder why we are here, which provides great opportunities for sharing the gospel. In the words of one of the university students, "I don't mean to be- uh, how you say, impolite?- but what are you doing here?"

This morning, I got to go work in the clinic in Wichanzao. Being the medical expert that I am (NOT), I got to drain the fluid out of someone's ear. Actually what afforded me this opportunity was last semester's Medical Spanish class. I loved putting this to use, and I also loved seeing the clinic we worked on two years ago finished and serving so many people.

Will write more later...leaving for conversation class.

In Christ alone,
Mary Rachel

1 comment:

  1. Is that baby too cute, or what?? Thankful that God is blessing and everything is going well. Much love to ya'll.

    ReplyDelete