Saturday, March 13, 2010

Peru: Uno

I am in Trujillo! Praise God, traveling went smoothly and our group had no major issues making it to the airport and claiming our luggage. We arrived in Lima last night around 11:30. On these kinds of trips, I am always reminded of how prone I am to impatience. We waited in the airport for about 2.5 hours because a group from Austin who is traveling with us lost part of their luggage. I was tired and cranky by the time we reached our hotel at 3:00 a.m., but I am also thankful that God reminds me constantly of my need for Him in these situations when I am so unthankful!

Our hotel in Lima last night was more than accommodating. It even had air conditioning- a luxury in Peru! We woke up this morning and walked down to the beach to have breakfast at a place called Mango´s. The view was absolutely gorgeous, and I remembered visiting this very spot when I came two years ago. After breakfast, we had some time to walk around the Inca Market in Lima. I felt a little crunched for time but was able to make some unique purchases. I enjoy visiting the markets because it gives me an opportunity to use my Spanish and to haggle with salespeople on prices- an activity which would be frowned upon in the States.

Our flight to Trujillo left around 4:00, so we had to leave the market to catch our plane around 1:30 or so. Flying to Trujillo went smoothly. The flight is short- only about an hour. We are staying at the same hotel in Trujillo that I stayed at when I came before. It is a nice hotel (by Peruvian standards) with everything we need. The only thing is that it is located directly across from a club, which is hopping until about 4:00 in the morning. Hopefully sleep will not be an issue this week!

As far as I know, Andrew is doing ok. I´m assuming no news is good news?? He should be arriving in Lima within the next couple of hours and flying out for Trujillo early tomorrow morning. I am ready for him to get here and hope that he makes it in time to experience church here tomorrow morning.

I love Peru. I think I love it even more this time than I did the last time I came. Trujillo is not a ¨beautiful¨city, but it is attractive to me. I can´t really explain it. Maybe part of it is that I love seeing people living so simply and being so joyful. Being here helps me put things in perspective. God is at work.

In Christ alone,
Mary Rachel

1 comment:

  1. So glad that y'all have arrived. Hope that Andrew has arrived by now. We heard from him about 1:30 p.m. on Saturday as he about to leave for Lima. Love you lots!

    ReplyDelete