Thursday, July 15, 2010

Anniversary and other adventures

For those who haven't tried The Melting Pot, it is definitely worth your time (and despite the ridiculously high prices, it is also worth your money on rare special occasions). Andrew did not even know what fondue was before we went to the Melting Pot for our anniversary (and I had never tried it), but we were both pleasantly surprised. The atmosphere was relaxed and left us feeling like we were not just ordinary guests who are rushed in and out in order to bring in more business. When I looked down at my watch as we were leaving, we had spent almost two and a half hours enjoying our dinner and each other.



After our trip to The Melting Pot, we spent the night at Hyatt Place OKC. Modern, romantic, tasteful. Loved it. We slept late on Saturday before driving to Amarillo for my sweet friend, Molly's, wedding. It was a beautiful, beautiful wedding.



On our actual anniversary, I cooked dinner for us to have at home. Oven roasted chicken, mashed potatoes, French bread, and our year-old wedding cake (which was surprisingly good after sitting in the freezer for the past year and despite the fact that after thawing, all of the icing proceeded to fall off the sides).



As far as other life updates go, Andrew has not heard back from his Starbucks interview on Monday, but he feels good about the interview, and we are both prayerfully hopeful that he will get the job. I finished teaching swim lessons to precious little Georgia this week and started teaching six more (older) kiddos in my friend, Rachel's, pool on Tuesday. I am loving being in the sun so much once again this summer! Summer school wraps up next Thursday- where did the time go?! I still doubt myself all the time about being a good teacher, especially when I get my real classroom in the fall, but I am nonetheless thankful to have had an opportunity to "get my feet wet" this summer.

Our next Summer Book Club meeting is next Thursday night at our house. We are reading Beer and Circus, which talks about how big-time college sports are crippling undergraduate education. This is not the type of book that I would normally pick up, but it is quite insightful, and Andrew and I are both enjoying it. Although OU is not perfect, after reading about some of the other schools in the book, we definitely feel like we were so blessed to get an education there!

I have been thinking about this quote a lot throughout the week: "The gospel is the news that you are far worse, disgusting, corrupted, vile, evil, manipulative, and weak than you ever thought. But you are also, in Christ, far more loved, accepted, cared for, forgiven, set free, and stronger than you ever dared dream possible. And these two truths are true at the same time (simul iustus et peccator) if you are a Christian because of Jesus's life, death, resurrection, and soon return for you."
I am so glad that this is true.

In Christ alone,
Mary Rachel

3 comments:

  1. You have the cutest dresses!! Glad your wedding cake was good...ours not so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you had a good time on your anniversary
    and you are going to makae a great teacher.
    Love you, Nana

    ReplyDelete
  3. The roasted chicken looks yummy, and your table is lovely! So glad that y'all got to celebrate Molly's special day with her. Love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete