Friday, July 9, 2010

Happy Anniversary to Us!

I've been thinking a lot this week about how different my life was a year ago. At about this time on July 9, 2009, I was running around like a mad woman (or was that my mom?), finishing up last-minute wedding plans and getting ready for my bachelorette party. Today I am sitting at Starbucks in Norman with a ring on my finger, a great husband, and a much more relaxed schedule.

When pondering one word to sum up the past year, many went through my mind. Crazy. Joyful. Challenging. Stressful. Happy. Wonderful. I think the one word that sums everything up best, though, is unpredictable. That's a pretty neutral word to sum up an absolutely amazing year, but that's what this year has been. Marriage is nothing like what I expected. The last three months especially have been reminding me of how little control I actually have over my own life. I thought I had a pretty good idea of where we would be in life at this time last year, and pretty much nothing is the same as I had envisioned. It's better. God has been so gracious to us in the circumstances of our life, as well as in our relationship. I never thought we would be staying in Norman, much less owning a house. I also never thought that I would actually be happier after a year of being married, but I am. I can't say enough good things about my sweet husband, who is so patient and makes me better every day. All glory to Christ!

People say the first year of marriage is the hardest. Sure, it's been challenging sometimes. But if that is really true, then I pray that God gives us 50+ more years together because I am convinced that things will only improve. In the words of Brad Paisley, we'll probably look back on this year, as our hearts are overflowing with love and joy, and think, "And I thought I loved you then!"

In Christ alone,
Mary Rachel

3 comments:

  1. Congrats you two! We are so happy for you guys and remembering the glorious day that was one year ago tomorrow:) -M and K

    ReplyDelete
  2. The wedding was wonderful, but watching you two blossom in your marriage this year has been even better! Love you lots, Mom and Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. To the most beautiful of couples that has bloomed all year long. To 50 more! We love you both! Mom & Dad

    ReplyDelete